Swiss Stuffed Onions
If you like onions and Swiss, you’ll love these Swiss stuffed onions. With a little taste of ham and the buttery goodness of crackers, the whole family will devour these in no time.
- Peel and hollow out the onions, leaving at least two layers on the sides and reserving the interior portions of the onions.
- Place the hollowed-out onions in a covered 8×8-inch baking dish along with the water and 1 tablespoon of the butter, then bake in a 450-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, sauté the interior portions of the onions in 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the ham. Continue cooking until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To the onions/ham, add the Swiss, followed by the parsley, chives, salt, pepper, and the crackers. Mix thoroughly.
- Remove the onions from the oven (be careful, they are hot!). Drain off the liquid.
- Add spoonfuls of the onion/ham mixture into the empty center of each onion. (Press firmly to get them quite full). Sprinkle a little more grated Swiss on top of each onion.
- Pop the onions back in the oven (uncovered) for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned.